An update to the saga.

A month ago I purchased a replacement clutch master cylinder
from MercedesSource.  The website did NOT list the
manufacturer - but it came with both a short and a long rod.

It came in a TRW box, and "Lucas" was cast into the body.  I
was not pleased.

After installing the master cylinder using the short rod, I
determined by how it mounted and by the fact the system
wouldn't bleed that the rod was too long.  That is, the short
rod was not short enough.  Closer examination determined the
problem is really the top of the piston in the cylinder is too
high.

Rather than have the car out of service for many days as I
tried to find a proper part, I chose to modify the rod making
it short enough it would work.  I was successful - but it took
me an extra 4+ hours of effort.

At this point, I was _very_ unhappy with MercedesSource.  I
let them know how unhappy I was, saying things like "I'll buy
from Autohaus before I'll buy from you again".

And they responded!  Stood behind their product, apologized
for the trouble, promised to pester their supplier - and gave
me enough monetary compensation that I'm now quite satisfied.
MercedesSource is now very high on my list.  Any company
willing to put money behind the promise to keep customers
happy says to me they _are_ serious and really do care about
their products and reputation.  I'll still be very cautious
about the manufacturer, though.

--  Philip