On Jan 31, 2015 7:16 PM, "ernest breakfield via Mercedes" <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> you could make them yourself, but studded bicycle tires are available
from a variety or manufacturers, including Schwalbe, Continental, Kenda,
Nokian, and others.
>     many of these cost more than the tires some people here put on their
cars.

I used to deliver newspapers all winter on a cheapie mountain bike. The
only real hazard was unshoveled sidewalks after a few freeze/thaw cycles.

I still love riding through the woods  in the snow; my regular bike on
regular mountain bike tires handles up to six inches or so with zero drama,
provided the elevation changes are modest. I haven't been able to figure
out if studded tires and fat bikes are just GAS (gear acquisition
syndrome), or if the disconnect is in my simple midwestern flatlander
brain.

Tom
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hvomzct2mwc9fl9/AACorWfj7-KrHZrYNLkEOyQta