I have not done any rears so can't comment on that job, but I have rebuilt front suspensions on both a 123 and 126. Neither job is particularly difficult, having the spring compressor is the key. I would just do it right, take it apart, replace all the wear items, and not fool with bodges -- I doubt if it will take any longer. As long as you are doing it you should replace all the rubber, ball joints, and various steering components then get it aligned. All new parts will add up to about $900-$1k, talk to Dr. Fatty to get some good bits. Take some pics and follow the manual procedures for sequence, torque, etc.

Flex disks on the 126 are not the funnest job, it's kinda tight up in there and somewhat fiddly, but not too difficult as long as you get the car up and you have some room, and maybe a helper to slide the exhaust system out/in, and the driveshaft (which you must make sure goes back exactly as it came out). While you're under there probably do the shift bushings too, the bushings are only a couple bux and you will have the car jacked up to get under it.

--R