Good news all around!

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Craig via
Mercedes
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 4:21 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] OT: Update XXXIX: SHE CAN READ (and other information)!

After a year of problems with her eyes, Shirley can finally read!

She got new lenses after her cataract surgeries last summer, but with the
vitrectomies in her left eye and the capsulotomy in her right eye, her eyes
changed enough to make those lenses useless for reading. At her final visit
at Eye Associates in Santa Fe with the retinologist on 13 January, we asked
about her reading problems. The technician had done a refraction at the
beginning of her appointment; the doctor said that the new prescription just
generated would solve her reading problems.

Shirley then went to Eye Associates Optical in Los Alamos (affiliated with
the medical section of Eye Associates) with the new prescription. We were
expecting to pay for new lenses, but when the lady there looked at her
record, she said that since it was so soon after she got her previous
lenses, they would cover the cost of the new lenses! Praise the Lord!

I was somewhat apprehensive that the new lenses would really solve the
problem, but when Shirley got the lenses, she said she could read. She has
packed away the large magnifying glass she had been using and is reading
well. She may have to have a capsulotomy on her left eye in the future, but
she is functioning well now.

In other news :-), WE HAVE A CONTRACT ON OUR HOUSE!!! Another Praise the
Lord! The contract is with a young man named Peter and his wife Sarah, who
are currently residing in Houston, Texas. Peter grew up in Albuquerque and
Sarah grew up here in Los Alamos. Sarah had seen our home on zillow.com and
had asked her parents, who live not too far from us here on Barranca Mesa,
to come and look at the house. They came on
24 January and were impressed by the house. After they reported back to her,
I received an email from and called Peter and later received a call from
Sarah. In our conversation, Peter said he had received his official offer
from the Lab here and was planning on coming out for a house-hunting trip on
14 February. After talking with his new supervisor at the Lab, Peter found
they wanted him to start work on 06 April! He moved up his trip to this past
weekend, with us showing the house to him and his mother-in-law on Saturday,
31 January. Late yesterday afternoon he called us and said he wanted to come
over to talk about an offer.
After he made a reasonable offer, we hashed out the details and agreed to
meet at Los Alamos National Bank (LANB) at 0900 this morning. One detail
that concerned me is that the house will have to close on 01 April, with
them getting posession then, 8-1/2 weeks from now.

After praying about our meeting, I met Peter in the lobby of LANB. We
wondered whether we should go to the title company in the lobby, or to the
bank's loan officers on the second floor. We decided to go to the title
company, which proved to be the correct choice.

The lady with whom we spoke at the title company, Patti, was, as Peter said,
"Awesome!" We went into the office and I said, "This young man wants to buy
my house." Peter said that we were wondering whether we should see them or
the loan officer first. Patti said we had come to the correct place and that
they did this every day. She said we didn't need a realtor and would be
happy to guide us through the process. She then took us into their
conference room where we discussed the transaction.
She then got copies of a contract form for the three of us and went through
each item, telling us what it meant and suggesting how we should handle it.
Peter and I then went about filling out the contract form, discussing how we
would handle closing costs, inspections, and other things. After filling it
out, the president of the title company reviewed it and said things were OK.

We then went across the lobby to the bank where Peter transferred the
earnest money to the title company's escrow account. After a brief trip back
to the title company to find telephone numbers for inspectors, we shook
hands and departed.

So, praise the Lord, we are progressing on the sale of the house!
Things to pray about now include,

     - Getting a high-enough appraisal for Peter to be able to
       get the loan from LANB,

     - Timely processing and funding of the loan,

     - Timely inspections and survey,

     - Wisdom, health, strength, and help for Shirley and me to get
       all things done we need to to be able to move out on 01 April
       and head for Indiana. (I'm in the middle of refurbishing our
       utility trailer and our vehicles need some work -- not the least
       of which is cleaning the mice which recently took up residence
       and their smelly, potentially disease-laden detritus out of the
       heater of our Big Red Van. It seems a little overwhelming, but I
       know the Lord is in charge -- though sometimes it's difficult to
       remember in the thick of things.)

Thank you all for patiently following our saga and for all your prayers.

God bless,

Craig

Craig

----------------------------------
Present:'95 E320        Sebastian  131 kmi
        '82 240D/3.0    Bluebell   267 kmi (need to fix leaking
                                            oil pressure gauge)
        '89 Chevrolet G20 Beauville Van (affectionately dubbed the BRV,
                                         Big Red Van)
Past:
        '94 E420        Oskar      127 kmi
        '86 190E/2.3
        '72 220/8
        '64 190Dc       Emma
        '72 220D/8      Herman     186 kmi

individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner has
no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.