Of all the times I've tried, I never got Windows to roll back using the native
recovery utility.

I'm not bashing, just relating my experience.

I am a great believer in clean installs.  Keep a clean image and good, regular
backups, and when something like this occurs you just nuke and start fresh.  It
makes life so much easier.

Dan