It was like $100 when I got it, it might be $120 now. I don't pay much attention, I figure I save enough on gas and everything else to cover it, plus the rebate usually does anyway. The basic membership is like $25, may be more now.

Our Costco shoppers are a bit higher-end demographic than your average walmartian, but I get the part about being pissed off. I put myself in the retail buying experience frame of mind whenever I go out anyway, so it sorta rolls off. Sometimes it is entertaining too, and I usually see people I know (or would like to know, nudgenudgewinkwink).

--R

On 2/12/15 2:20 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
How much does the membership cost? I still don't feel like I could save enough
to ever make it worth it...
That and the average Costco shopper pisses me off nearly as much as a
Wal-Martian.
Actually the worst, after the Wal-Martians are people at Trader Joe's. People
go in there and lose all civility...
-Curt
       From: Rich Thomas via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:13 PM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Rising fuel prices
I do a once-a-week Costco run for various stuff and to top off gas.
Meats are very good and prices lower than the grocery store.  Fruits are
very good too.  Wine prices lower than the wine or grocery store.
Yesterday I was went by the TV section, I see this Sony receiver I
bought a coupla weeks ago for $60 off.  So I go over to the customer
service counter and asked if I could get a $60 refund, did not have my
receipt as no reason to.  She says I have 14 days, when did I buy it?
It was like 2 weeks ago.  So she looks up my account on the computer,
sees it was 15 days ago.  Oh come on I say... so she says how about I
give you a store credit for $60? Fine I say and she gives me a debit
card.  Took all of 2 minutes, so my payoff was like $1800/hr!  I'll be
back next week buying something, so no problem.

Now a store credit will still give them some profit on my expenditure,
so it does not really "cost" them $60, but still that is great customer
service.  I got the "Executive" membership too, which gives you 2% back,
which is always more than it costs.  When I signed up for it the CSR
told me if I never got enough back, to come in and they would give me
credit to make up the difference, so basically a "free" membership.  I
think that works with the AMEX card too but I don't do credit cards.

--R