On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Rich Thomas via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> I know we are all pretty much cheapasses but wifey wants a "new" vehicle and

Not Mercedes but...

My wife works at the Ford dealer in CH.  At first I was happy that I
could get the employee discount, but having seen the "reliability" of
her two brand new cars, I am assuredly not buying anything made by
Ford in the past few years.  It's not that they don't fix the products
under warranty - they do try, anyway - but I don't have time to keep
dropping the vehicle for service, and our local dealers don't comp
rentals on warranty claims.

> extended warranty to go along with a used one, the CPOs have something like
> that, would have to look into details.  I know you can get something from

Wife says Ford CPO deals are better than buying new because the
warranty runs longer, but the incremental price is low relative to the
cost of buying new.  I am reasonably happy with the performance of the
van (2011 Ford E350) aside from fuel economy, so by extension a
few-year-old Explorer might be a good choice.  I also really liked the
2005 Escape Hybrid, but the transfer case ate itself - still a newer
or 2WD model might be okay.  That said my next vehicle will almost
certainly not be a Ford, even if I could get a CPO with the bugs
worked out.

There is a big Carmax on the northwest side of Raleigh, which isn't
terribly far out of the way of your SIL.  Many other dealers along
that strip as well, you could make an Easter junket and see what you
see.

Best,
Tim