On 2/25/2015 5:09 PM, Rich Thomas via Mercedes wrote:
I have been listening to the inane commentary on NPR about this pipeline bidness. It is quite interesting how the opponents have managed to turn the discussion around aspects that are either 1) wrong, 2) irrelevant, 3) conflated, 4) partially true, 5) idiotic, 6) ignoring certain other factual aspects, 7) all of the above. And the "journalists" let it all slide without making the interviewees be rigorous in their arguments. It is a wonder to behold, I remember now why I missed sending in some dinero during the begathon the last 3 weeks. Note that this has nothing to do with my opinion on the matter, just an observation on how it has all unfolded. Even one of my TEA party-type friends was ecstatic Obama vetoed the bill, and got lots of likes from other flaming lib friends on his view. I tried to point out some aspects of his views on the matter that were positively wrong but he would not be swayed by facts.

I have been intrigued by the parallels between the climate/environment discussions and religious behavior. Recently I was talking with my brother, a fan of NPR talk shows, who explained many in the climate change camp want to eliminate the use of the word "skeptic" by those who don't agree with them. "Skeptic" is seen as an honorable word associated with scientific inquiry. Instead, since the evidence is so overwhelming in support of the climate-change-caused-humans model, anyone who doesn't buy on should be labelled "denier".

      Really now.  Believers and deniers?  With no room for agnostics?

I think the problem is that those wishy washy agnostic types can't be counted on to take the kind of action the climate zealots want, i.e. doing away with big cars, beefsteaks, and so forth. The idea being if our life style spews out so much CO2 why we have no moral grounds for trying to hold back all those third world types from the same thing. And the world population has grown; more than doubled just during my lifetime of 74 years. Which leads to my favorite solution - less people. We need more incentives for people to have fewer children. Gold metals, tax breaks, free stuff, permission to go to the head of lines, all that kind of thing. World wide!

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

     They've all moved away said the voice of a stranger