On Tuesday, January 24, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Donald Snook wrote:

From what I understand, the gasser 126's start in 2nd gear and this is
why they are little slow off the line.

        I don't believe this to be the case for that particular model.

  A few questions?  Why did
Mercedes do this?

        To keep wheels for spinning on slippery surfaces and for fuel economy.

If it starts in 2nd then does it ever go into 1st?

        Yes, when you mash the throttle it will drop down.

Is there a way to change this? Is there a reason not too?

Yours should start in 1st gear. This feature was used in 240Ds and some 201 190Ds, 124s and probably some other models that I'm not aware of.
        I have a Euro 124 owners manual that describes this in depth.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am