Well, Marshall, I think my '90 Diesel W124 is working correctly. It was a zone car and completely checked out before being titled as new when we bought it at HBL. Norbert was one of the "checkers". Since HBL changed hands, the folks at ASC have treated us better, and their best people have worked on this car, too. So I'll enjoy the easy starts, better economy, very little creep while stopped, and the really great "kick" when I push the pedal down about 3/4 on a start! I will keep checking on this, however - and if it turns out the car is not working correctly, I'll post an apology.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Starting in second

Werner Fehlauer wrote:
Yes, but the '90 124 2.5 Diesel starts in 2nd, unless you "floor" it.
Werner

When properly adjusted, most turbo diesels SHOULD sit in second and drop
into 1st as soon as you push on the accelerator (unless you are pointed
down hill and BARELY touch the pedal). A few sit in first AND start in
first. If your's doesn't then it need adjustment.

The attachment outlines the idle and starting gear for most Mercedes
transmissions from "Automatic Transmission Maintenance & Diagnosis (thru
1989)" published by Mercedes 1989.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi