I always thought that gasoline caused most vehicle fires, but I have seen a lot of semi tractors that burned. The only difference is that diesel needs a wick or it needs to be heated enough to vaporize. Gasoline evaporates easily at air temps. Since diesel has more BTUs per gallon, it will burn longer or hotter once lit.

Metal scraping on pavement provides enough heat and sparks to light even diesel in some conditions. Even a 240D (or 190Dc auto) can create a pool of fuel and a stream of sparks. The local independent shop has the remains of an SD that caught fire while driving down the interstate. I would have believed that to be impossible until I saw it. The fire does not appear to have started at the alternator or battery. It appears to have burned longer/hotter on the left side (where the fuel is) of the engine compartment. It got hot enough that the valve cover melted. I can't find an explanation of the cause of the fire. I can only surmise a combination of oil leaks, fuel leaks and a seriously overheated/sparking electrical component (CC fuse maybe)

One thing that I have noticed is that on the old cars with the tank under the trunk (107-115 inclusive) if a fuel line is cut or broken, the fuel stays in the tank. In the interest of "safety" after the Pinto debacle, the feds made the tanks move to behind the passenger seat. On these later cars, the fuel will run out to the ground if you cut or break a fuel line in the engine compartment. If a fire did start, these tanks will feed the fire. This is independent of manufacturer.

Loren