Marshall wrote:

"In the early '90s Mercedes saw the error

of their ways and allowed the gas transmissions to start in 1st. Cars

built a year or two before 1st gear starts became standard COULD be

converted (it was NOT a cheap conversion - required that the valve body

be removed and some pieces replaced) but cars with transmissions build

before that (about '89 and earlier I think) can't be converted (you'd

need a completely replace the valve body)."

When I said my car started in second, I said that because I thought that
was the case with all these cars.  I don't know that mine starts in
second, I only know that it is pretty slow from a standstill.

Donald H. Snook

1990 300SEL 123K