A while ago I installed a new radio in my '82 (cheap Sony AM/FM/CD).
Everything, including the fader mod worked fine, except it would not
remember it's setting.
Found out that I reversed the switched and constant power leads. I corrected
this and now the antenna would not extend.
I checked for remote antenna power from the radio at the connector  in the
trunk - constant 12V at pin #1and 12V at #2 with radio on.
I thought I fried the motor, even though it worked fine with the radio
hooked up incorrectly and took the antenna apart.
Motor checked good, limit switches looked fine but the relay would not
energize. Checked the capacitors and one showed continuity.
Checked it again and suddenly this capacitor tested good, the relay worked
and all is working now as it should (Auto, Max, Off, up, down).
What did I fix? Jim may be able to explain this miracle.

--
Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX
'82 300SD, '95 E300D