The separate hot/cold faucets I replaced with the Pfister mixer faucet a few years ago lasted well over 100 years. 'Replaced 'em 'cause I wanted a faucet that looks better and mixes hot/cold, though I seldom turn the hot on.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com> To: "G Mann" <g2ma...@gmail.com>; "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2015 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT faucets

On 23/03/2015 12:10 PM, G Mann via Mercedes wrote:
This posting serves to remind me of one thing that really fails to impress
me with our civilization in particular.

We are now surrounded by high tech electrical devices. Our cars will start
without taking the key out of our pockets, our wrist watch has greater
computing power than the first rocket that guided a crew to land on the
moon, yet we have barely evolved past the inside toilet in quality and tech
when it comes to home materials like plumbing and construction.

Plumbing is a billion dollar industry, yet the water valves in my great
grandmothers home that are 140 years old are of better quality than what I
can buy today, and are still working. For example.

Is this a good as we can do?

The reverse is true. We are going backward. Electronics are throw away as there is a newer, better, cheaper one waiting to be sold to you. The people that make hardware and tools and appliances want in on this so they make the stuff fail and refuse to make parts readily available so we have little choice but to buy the next version of the junk they peddle. The faucets on the sink at home when I was a kid lasted until the sink wore out. They likely could have been re-used but we put new ones in with the new sink. I have since changed those new ones out for a "new" set and that one is causing trouble. The first were good for better than 30 years and the chrome was good when we tossed them. The two sets since have not lasted 10 years each and they are only used from May through October as the place is closed down for the winter.

RB