I think I'd hafta let 'im find another buyer.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Okie Benz" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] The Search Continues....

It just keeps getting better....

The guy with the granny car that had the trashed exterior and rusty door bottom emails me tonight asking if I'll give him $5k for the car as-is. This is after he turns down an offer for $5k yesterday before I saw it, or so he says.

This is the ad for reference:

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/4959771565.html

Here is his message to me at the bottom and my response above:

Robert,

I'm going to be brutally honest here, since you asked:

Your ad is a gross misrepresentation of the car in my opinion.  To-wit:

1.) "Recent serviced at mercedes with oil change synthetic only since new, new toyo tires and alignment, new brakes front and rear,"

You yourself admitted that other than the alignment, the work was not done at the dealership. I would interpret "at mercedes" as the dealer, as I would expect most people would. The way this was written is a serious misstatement at the minimum.

2.) "Interior is nice, exterior has a few parking lot dings and scrapes over the years so not perfect! but can be easily made perfect."

Really? Does that include the old drink stains on the carpet? Could you spend an hour or two with a can of carpet cleaner and at least make an effort to clean the interior up? Is that the average person's idea of "nice"? I don't think so.

"A few parking lot dings"

A crumpled left front fender and a right rear quarter that has been painted with a rattle can, and poorly at that, would not, in my very broad interpretation, be considered by the average person as "parking lot dings and scrapes." Maybe I have a higher standard, but I would still challenge any reader of this ad to consider the body damage the car has to be "minor".

3.) "it's practically like driving a new Benz"

Robert. Really? Do you honestly believe this? You're comparing this car to a new Mercedes? I visit Mercedes of Tampa almost weekly picking up parts, and I've never seen a new Mercedes in the condition this car is in. Ever.

In its present condition, if I compared it to all of the W140 chassis cars I have looked at in the area over the last 30-45 days, this is a $2500 beater. I'm not saying that to be cruel, I'm comparing it to the cars that you're competing against in the market, which are also described far more honestly than yours. I know you won't, but I would challenge you to go out and look at a couple to get an idea of what's out there so you can understand where this car stacks up against the competition.

I have no interest in the car, as I said when we met. It has rust which is a huge strike against it, especially when nearly every other W140 currently in the local market has none. It's a deal breaker if there ever was one.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.