Our public TV channel here in SC has made some very good documentary-type shows about the history here, and the second war of independence and how the people in various parts of the state conducted themselves. One of them had a good part being an interview with SF based on his books, he was extremely interesting and a character himself. I don't remember which show it was, but they tend to show them every now and then, and I think you can stream them off their web site. If I see it again I will post it.

You might want to look up Dr. Walter Edgar, he is a prof who has written a lot on the history of SC, and has a radio show every Friday on the public radio, usually an interview of someone who has written a history of some aspect of SC, the war and whatever else. He spoke at an event I went to last fall, he seemed a bit scattered but his talk was still interesting. You can get the podcasts if you want to listen to them, or stream it live.

http://etvradio.org/programs/walter-edgars-journal

Last week's was pretty good

Dr. Heather Andrea Williams of Pennsylvania State University joins Dr. Walter Edgar for another "Conversation on the Civil War, 1865." The subject: emancipation and freedom. Williams is one of the world’s leading historians of the experience of slavery in the 19th century. Her award-winning first book, /Self-Taught: African-American Education in Slavery and Freedom/ (University of North Carolina Press, 2005), argued that education was inseparable from the fight against slavery.

This Friday is about the sonofabitch General Sherman

In his book, /Sherman: A Soldier’s Passion for Order/ (Free Press, 1992) John F. Marszalek presents general William Tecumseh Sherman as a complicated man who, fearing anarchy, searched for the order that he hoped would make his life a success. Dr. Marszalek talks with Dr. Edgar about Sherman as a military commander who came to abhor what he saw as the senseless slaughter of the War, and who sought a different strategy to bring the South to surrender.

--R