Looks like Mercedes content is scarce lately, so I'll tell a story.
In the summer of 2013 a friend of work told me about his carpool partner who
had "an old Mercedes diesel" sitting in his driveway, unused, leaking fuel that
he was ready to get rid of since he was tired of doing work on it and he went
to a Nissan Leaf for his commute. I looked and found a gold 1995 E300d
non-turbo with about 220k miles, that I purchased for $2200 and drove home.
Over the next 6 months I replaced fuel lines, injector nozzles (Bosio, damn
noisy at idle) heater motor brushed, Climate control temperature sensor fan,
some transmission stuff to make it shift half way normal,  and generally get
everything working and turned it over to my wife as her primary vehicle and
sold her 1998 Volvo S70 (not a popular move...).
The E300 ran for over a year and then in September 2014 while on the highway it
lost most of it's power and when we got it to an off ramp would not idle and
was leaking oil from the front. I called the kid and his truck and we strap
towed it the last 3 miles home, where it sat for a few months before I had time
to look at it. What I found was pretty strange, the timing chain had jumped at
least one tooth but the intake and exhaust cams were no longer in time with
each other, even though the gear mark was lined up. The ultimate culprit was
the vacuum pump, of course at 240k miles. I pulled the cams and found that the
intake cam gear is pressed to the cam with no index marks or locating pin (?) I
pressed the gear off and heated it a little and got it timed correctly withing
a few degrees of the exhaust cam. When I got the head off there were
impressions in the carbon aligning with the intake valves, they were not
obviously bent but after lots of debate and pricing valve jobs, I ordered
  valves and Neway seat cutters to do the job myself. When I pulled the timing
cover I found a crack where the bar that sticks below the crank timing sprocket
comes out of the back side of the timing cover I believe this holds the chain
in time when tension is removed. I had this welded at an aluminum boat dealer
that I used to work at (yes I'm cheap). I ordered timing chain, all guides and
headgasket set at this point and began re-assembly. For the vacuum pump, I cut
the damaged lever off of the mechanical pump and went with a Hella electric
pump. This saved me about $700+ for the mechanical pump and injection timer
assembly. I did final assembly a few weeks ago and got the vacuum system
finished on Sunday. On first analysis I may need a better vacuum pump, this
Hella gets pretty hot during normal use.
Wife is actually pretty happy with it as the standby vehicle she was driving
was a 1989 Chev G20 van :-).
I did the job so cheap because the car just does not have enough value to spend
what it would take to do the job right. I really like the OM606 but, damn, when
buying parts I really wished it was a OM603.

DaveL
Lynnwood, Wa.
1973 GMC 23' motorhome
1982 E300CD daily driver