E300D is sort of rare and more valuable.  I had a giant issue getting the insco
to not screw me on value.  They wanted to give me $4k, I wanted to be made
whole.  The transaction took a few months, and they finally found a REAL
comparable after looking at six examples.  Turned out the car is really worth
$9500 when they stopped looking at the E320.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers

On Apr 15, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Dave wrote:

> Looks like Mercedes content is scarce lately, so I'll tell a story.
> In the summer of 2013 a friend of work told me about his carpool partner who
> had "an old Mercedes diesel" sitting in his driveway, unused, leaking fuel
> that he was ready to get rid of since he was tired of doing work on it and he
> went to a Nissan Leaf for his commute. I looked and found a gold 1995 E300d
> non-turbo with about 220k miles, that I purchased for $2200 and drove home.
> Over the next 6 months I replaced fuel lines, injector nozzles (Bosio, damn
> noisy at idle) heater motor brushed, Climate control temperature sensor fan,
> some transmission stuff to make it shift half way normal,  and generally get
> everything working and turned it over to my wife as her primary vehicle and
> sold her 1998 Volvo S70 (not a popular move...).
> The E300 ran for over a year and then in September 2014 while on the highway
> it lost most of it's power and when we got it to an off ramp would not idle
> and was leaking oil from the front. I called the kid and his truck and we
> strap towed it the last 3 miles home, where it sat for a few months before I
> had time to look at it. What I found was pretty strange, the timing chain had
> jumped at least one tooth but the intake and exhaust cams were no longer in
> time with each other, even though the gear mark was lined up. The ultimate
> culprit was the vacuum pump, of course at 240k miles. I pulled the cams and
> found that the intake cam gear is pressed to the cam with no index marks or
> locating pin (?) I pressed the gear off and heated it a little and got it
> timed correctly withing a few degrees of the exhaust cam. When I got the head
> off there were impressions in the carbon aligning with the intake valves,
> they were not obviously bent but after lots of debate and pricing valve jobs,
> I order
 ed valves and Neway seat cutters to do the job myself. When I pulled the
timing cover I found a crack where the bar that sticks below the crank timing
sprocket comes out of the back side of the timing cover I believe this holds
the chain in time when tension is removed. I had this welded at an aluminum
boat dealer that I used to work at (yes I'm cheap). I ordered timing chain, all
guides and headgasket set at this point and began re-assembly. For the vacuum
pump, I cut the damaged lever off of the mechanical pump and went with a Hella
electric pump. This saved me about $700+ for the mechanical pump and injection
timer assembly. I did final assembly a few weeks ago and got the vacuum system
finished on Sunday. On first analysis I may need a better vacuum pump, this
Hella gets pretty hot during normal use.