On Tue, 12 May 2015 23:01:24 -0700 G Mann via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> My setup for the house in town has a main disconnect switch for the grid
> power, which ensures nothing from the generator feeds back to the grid
> lines. That switch has two positions.. Generator power or Grid Power..
> The circuits for the house remain the same, the switch just selects the
> source.
>
> It is then my duty to not use house devices which will exceed the power
> supply of the generator. This system does not use any automatic
> generator start or automatic switching.. so cost remained as low as
> possible..
>
> Risk taken is power grid will go down when no one is home to switch on
> generator, and select "Generator Power" . There is a safety interlock
> between the two systems, so it is impossible to have both generator
> power and grid power at the same time.

When we were rewiring our house in Los Alamos and changing from a 60 A
service to a 200 A service, I took the opportunity to request the
electrician install a manual transfer switch that does exactly what you
describe, Grant. It cost about $365 and replaced another panel that would
have been used. I don't remember the cost of that other panel, so I
cannot calculate an incremental cost.

Craig