      From: Curly McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Curly McLain <126die...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 9:39 PM
 Subject: [MBZ] Another weird one (curt content)

I am so lucky!  I get the weird ones.  I seemed to have the first
Klima relay problem reported on the dickarde list, while Herr Doktor
said Klimas don't fail,  and many  other oddball things I try to
forget.

Curt, and maybe a few others who have driven International Letter
model tractors  (or 300 series) can relate to this one.  The last H
we bought never idled right.  It ran ok at 1/3 throttle or more, but
died if you tried to let it idle.  a few years ago I cleaned up the
carb and soaked it in carb cleaner for a few weeks, and put in the
new parts in a kit from the stealer.  The kit didn't have all the
parts so for the missing parts, I reused the old ones.  No
improvement, but the needle didn't leak.

The last time I ran it a couple years ago it was flooding, so I
thought the float sunk.  Saturday I had the carb off and on several
times and could not get it to run right.  Yesterday I went at it
again, and I noticed what I thought was an idle jet, so I took it out
and cleaned it up and looked at it.  brass tube with a hole up from
the bottom, but not clear through, no holes in the side.  Seems to me
it should either have holes in the side, or the hole should go clear
through.  I found an online parts diagram that confirmed it was the
idle jet.  I tried to ream it out with a copper wire clipped off to a
chisel point.  If it was varnish/dirt buildup, the wire should have
gone through.  It appears that the center was never drilled.    So it
is like my MB factory  "rebuilt" short block that was missing the
hole for one head bolt.  The tractor appears that it was used with a
front mounted woodsaw for most or all of its life.  So, maybe they
ran it at half or 3/4 throttle all the time and it never bothered.
The carb was painted gray originally, so when i put the kit in, I
painted it gray again.  Some collector online said the factory carbs
were painted red along with everything else, but the wheel rims.  So
maybe this was a factory parts carb.

Called a farmer tractor collector to ask him if it was supposed to
have the hole clear through, and he didn't know.  Yesterday I found
online a guy in Minnysoda who rebuilds tractor carbs, so I called him
today and he confirmed the hole is supposed to go clear through.

I ordered parts from him to fix the carb, so we'll see if it will
idle.  This Saturday is a small tractor show, so I will take it over
if I have it running by then.  It got new plugs, so when the parts
get in it will get new points, condensor, rotor, and spark plug wires
in addition to the carb parts.  That oughta turn it into a happy
camper.  I am registered to take it on a tractor ride this summer, so
i need it running good for that.

Meanwhile yesterday when I was messing with it i forgot to turn the
key off when I took the carb off the last time.  My 12 volt battery
burned up the 6v coil.  I had brought along my Bosch 12 V coil
salvaged from a MB gasser (MB content) so I put it on.  I guess I  am
committed now to converting the tractor to 12V.  I've been ambivalent
between keeping it original and converting it to 12v for practicality.

So after many decades of putting MB parts on frods, now I finally
have a tractor with MB parts!  That makes it truly mine!  I wish an
MB Bosch alternator would fit under the hood.  I think I am stuck
with a toada or other rice burner alternator to get one that will fit
under the hood, unless y'all know of some newish MB alternator that
has a small OD.

Oh, and the last time I took it on a three day tractor ride a few
years go, it had one of my MB  group 49 batteries strapped on, so it
has had some MB content before!  A group 49 MB battery will run it
all day with no generator, and still have juice left.

1948  IHC Farmall Model H