I'll withhold the attaboy until you know more but consider it there provisionally. :) I had a weird one on my '52 Super M the other day. I went to change the oil but could NOT get the oil filter housing to seal. The filter I got from Car Quest didn't come with a gasket but I had one from a water damaged IH filter. I farted around for a long time but couldn't get the gasket (really a square profile o-ring) to stay in its ring. I took a break and looked online (Dad bought a 4G hot spot that paid for itself that day) and found a post where somebody mentioned cleaning the groove the seal goes in. I worked on that for a little while cursing that I didn't have my scraper set from back home when I finally realized there was ANOTHER gasket in the groove. Pay attention now, I'd removed one gasket already but somehow the last time I'd changed the oil (or at some point in the past anyway) somebody hadn't removed the gasket so now there was one crammed down and causing my new one to not fit right. With the old gasket and the old old gasket removed the new gasket fit perfect and sealed as it should. We even bought new blades for the mower which now actually cuts the grass rather than just pounding it out of the way...
-Curt

I think I did that once with the MB Diesel filters.