ELECTRIC VEHICLES: Developers aim to ax cord for plug-in cars Published:
Monday, June 1, 2015

Toyota Motor Corp. has teamed up with a Boston-based technology company to
make plugging in electric cars a thing of the past.

WiTricity, which comes out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
envisions a world where electric vehicles would park over charging pads
located in lots or garages that would wirelessly transmit energy to a
receiver on the undercarriage of the vehicle.

"I'll have it in my kitchen counter, my bedside table, probably my coffee
table," CEO Alex Gruzen said. "And throughout my day, I'll be casually
topping off my devices with this quick 'energy snacking.' The same thing
will happen in the automotive space, because when you park, it'll just
charge, and you won't be thinking about it."

WiTricity isn't the only company working on wireless charging for electric
cars, but it is notable in that it has already raised $45 million, with
Toyota as an early investor. The two companies also agreed on a licensing
agreement in 2013, and Toyota has field-tested the equipment.

The car company hopes to include the new technology as an option on its
plug-in Prius, according to Gruzen. A Toyota spokeswoman declined to detail
any specific plans.

Honda Motor Co. is also using WiTricity to recharge a Fit EV at one of its
"smart homes" near Tokyo. And other auto suppliers like Delphi Corp. have
licensed WiTricity's technology.

Proponents are hoping the simplicity of remote charging will win over
skeptics who don't want to worry about physically plugging in their car
everywhere they park.
"I grew up when phones had cords," Gruzen said. "I still to this day think
of it as a cordless phone. But to my kids, it's just a phone. They've never
known phones with cords. So when we are talking about wireless charging, I
think in five years it'll just be charging. It'll just be what you do"
(David R. Baker, *San Francisco Chronicle*
<http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Floor-pad-could-cut-the-cord-for-electric-cars-6295664.php>,
May 29)