I will be looking for a better set of welding wear so I can keep from setting myself on fire.

clay

Cotton.  No synthetics.

I often weld in a tshirt and jeans. Nothing special. A long sleeve Wrangler cotton denim shirt is good too, if it is cool enough. mine has no holes in it, but I don't weld much anymore. I sold my John Deere stick welder on fleaby because i figured out I'll never have enough money to collect John Deeres. got a little century FCAW welder to weld sheet metal.

I never wear a cap unless I am trying to weld overhead, and I try to avoid that.