Clay will work. It's what the old plumbers used to use back in the day. You
pack the joint from one end with clay, run lead with tin content to make it
stick to the cast steel, then chip the clay out and run the back side with
lead with tin. you then have a complete joint.

Take care using to much heat, the old guys used a "blow torch" to do the
work and temps were likely lower than modern propane torches.