Yes, however, it's a slow death and you go insane first. Since you drive
and work on antique [by modern standards] Mercedes, no one will notice. ;))

Work in a ventilated area, use a clay dam to keep the lead from pouring
through, and only heat the lead pot to the liquid lead pour point, preheat
the joint to get better contact adheasion. You should be good to go.

I've been melting and recasting wheel weight lead for the last 35 years and
making lead shot for skeet shooting reloads, and lead bullets. Likely have
handled several tons over the years. No ill effects to date. I do however
resist the urge to ever lick lead bars or breath the fumes. To date, I can
report I've been healthy.
I doubt you can ingest enough lead in a single use event to cause a medical
issue.. unless, of course, you live in California, where every substance
touched by man has some ill effect.