Got the car back from the trusted indie shop.  They spent two hours of
diagnostic time on it and found that the MAF is probably bad and there are a
number of vacuum leaks in all of the lines that run across the top of the
engine and probably the boot at the bottom of the MAF.

This is good news, as we know the wiring harness is good and they confirmed
that.

I just happen to have a spare MAF that someone gave me for free for the S420,
and even better, it’s the SAME part on the S500.  Woo-hoo!!

The car comes home tonight, after which I’ll survey the vacuum lines and elbows
that have to be replaced and make a parts list for my dealer parts guy on
Monday. I’ll have him VOR (overnight) the parts so we have them on Tuesday and
Tuesday night we’ll reassemble everything and get the boy back in his beloved
car.

I knew the vacuum fittings on the top of the engine were getting hard and
brittle as they’re known to do, but I didn’t think any of them were leaking
yet.  I’m going to dig around on the internet and see if I can find the plan
for a DIY smoke tester - this is something that is a big help and could use
occasionally.

More as I know it….

Dan