Pleats are no bueno.
I had a free service coupon for a reputable shop very near my home. This
fellow has done work for me on any non-MB vehicles I've owned. So I took in
my '08 CLK 350 for a service and I had all the correct filters in the front
seat.
When I walked over to pick up the car, the oil filter was still on the
front seat. Dude told me they had one of the correct oil filters in back so
he used it so I could save mine.
Fast forward to the next service due and I took it over to my normal guy
(MB Motors) and when he went to take the oil filter out it had
discinigrated into various chunks of pleated schmutz. It was nasty. I saved
all the chunks in a zip lock bag and took it over to the other shop. Got a
heartfelt apology from the guy by my house and he told me he "owes me".

Bob R