On Jun 18, 2015 10:36 AM, "Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes" <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> No one can hack my 1983 300TD.  I have a totally impenetrable firewall.

Have hack saw, will hack.

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > They're far from superior and invincible, that's for sure. No fanboy
here.
> > Just opining over why this makes headlines when there are similar issues
> > with other OS' and rarely ever press about it.

Remember the fuss over the OpenSSL issue?  White hats are getting better at
marketing, what with their fancy names and a growing realization that
computers hold a lot of information.  At the same time, Microsoft has done
a good job embracing the position of "least secure OS" in public, so
serious Windows bugs don't make headlines even though they are increasingly
rare.

> > Agreed with the car situation. No matter who runs under the hood, it's
> > going to be a big bullseye for hackers. Did the guys hack the cars at
the
> > Black Hat gathering yet, or has that yet to take place?

I have to disagree.  It will be fun to say "I hacked the car" but
ultimately you don't get much out of it.  Even if you could tell the car to
lock the doors and self destruct, you can't go spending a found credit card
number, sending spam, or running a botnet like you can with a networked
device.  Locking the doors, or not starting, and demanding a ransom only
works when the user is networked, but you could already do that on
post-Onstar GM cars and AFAIK no one has.  Ultimately it's just hard to
make money hacking cars, and the capable black hats tend to prefer having
compensation beyond lulz.

If you have an enemy state that hacks the cars remotely (and how terrible
would that design have to be!) you could use them to create a traffic jam
in DC or something, but you can't force them to refuel so you're pretty
limited in range.

I'm more concerned about bugs, but most computers are probably better
drivers than me when I'm tired.  I am still probably not going to buy
release 1.0. :)

Best,
Tim