> Curly wrote:
>
> I've been feedin em rat poison.  works well in
> winter and spring, but not when they can invade the
> garden.  Need a good pellet gun for them and hasenpfeffer.

The trouble with poison is it doesn't stop with the pest.
The natural pest controllers will probably die too.  That is,
the owls, hawks, coyote, bobcat, etc. that eat the pests will
usually target the weak and slow - that is the
poisoned-but-not-yet-dead pest.  After ingesting a poisoned
chipmunk or two the predator also dies.  Which certainly
doesn't discourage the pest population.

Yet there are times when poison seems the only effective
method.  I guess I'm saying "please think a moment and be
sure before using poison".