I did the "press and hold brake pedal" test several times, engine running,
and then moved the car and looked for brake fluid (found none) and also
watched the reservoir level (it didn't seem to drop).

Current master cylinder is a replacement (aftermarket, no identifying marks
that I can find) which I installed about 4 years / 80k miles ago.

Searched around a bit today, settled on an FTE MC from Autohaus AZ, $144.
Northlake dealership wants about $180 for a new part.

I was considering rebuilding the MC because it is relatively young and the
cylinder may be fine, but can't find a source on-line for the parts.  FTE
may offer a kit, but when I checked to find no identifying marks on mine
and read a few forum posts on rebuilding brake MC, I've decided to get the
FTE MC which may be rebuildable in the future, but probably will last the
life of the car and not need rebuilding.
Max
Charleston SC