> Max wrote:
>
> SWMBO says that she had to pump the brakes to stop the car
> on one occasion yesterday.  I'm planning to check the fluid
> level and look for leaks, but I'm suspicious of the master
> cylinder.

It depends.  All you have said is "had to pump the brakes to
stop the car" - which not specific enough.  The subject line
says "sinking" - and if that's the case, it's probably the
master cylinder.

If the pedal sinks when applying light pressure, there is
either a hole or fluid is leaking past the master cylinder
piston seals.  If the fluid level isn't low, then it must be
the master cylinder.  Often - but not always - a fast, hard
press on the brake pedal will still seal and the brakes will
work fine.

If the pedal is firm under light or heavy pressure, but has
to be pumped a couple times before the brake pressure builds,
it could be a wheel cylinder that is being "retracted" too
far.  Failing wheel bearings can cause excess wheel wobble
that causes the brake pistons to be pushed back too much.  A
loose caliper can also cause similar symptoms.