So my wife wants to power her phone from a cig plug charger in the 2012 ML. There is a ciggy lighter in the front console, and the manual shows either/both a 12V socket there, but hers only has the ciggy lighter. I try to get the lighter out, push it down, nothing happens. So I pry it out, put in the charger, no juice.

So I pop the hood, find the fuse box and there are only a few small fuses in there and some relays and a 50A or 2 and no chart of anything. WTF? So then I download the manual (she does not leave it in the car for some reason) and it shows there are 3 (!!!) fuse boxes scattered around the car, one in the side of the dash by the pass door and another under the back seat. I try to find the one by the door, there is none there. WTF??? So the manual says "The fuse allocation chart is located under cover" of the rear one. So I open that one up, it has some fuses in it too, but no chart. WTF???? The 79 TD has a nice printed chart under the fuse box cover! I had to cut a little tab on the carpet cover too to get it lifted up, so I guess no one has ever been in that fuse box.

Have the Germans completely lost it? (Or maybe the Alabama assembly workers?) Neither of the boxes has a fuse chart, how the hell are you supposed to figure out what fuse might need to be changed? Good news is the fuses seem to be the newer flat things, I have a ton of those around but no idea which one to pull.

Off to the tubes to try to find a fuse chart....

--R