On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 01:27:50 -0400 (EDT) Mitch Haley via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> It's working its heart out trying to figure out what has been installed
> and what has not?
> You might just leave it on overnight and see if it's back to normal in
> the morning.

I left it running overnight and came back to its saying it was installing
update 150 of 179. So there was some progress.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 06:43:50 -0400 Tim Crone via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> The on-demand buttons seem to just be an illusion, I think it just
> queries state stored from the last connection.  Anyway I often have to
> stop and start the Windows Update service or the BITS service to get it
> going.

Thank you for the tip, Tim.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 11:17:15 -0400 Max Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Can you kill the the svchost process(s)?  I used to do that on an XP
> box when it got bogged down, and if they were really needed, they would
> automatically restart and usually behave.

I did that, but it didn't help.

As Tim alluded, the program gives you the impression that when you tell
it to do something, it goes out and does it. I was expecting Windows
Update in Windows 7 to work as it did in XP (I know, not a safe assumption
with Microsoft).

Windows Update had already determined a whole long list of updates it
needed to install. I selected those and told it to install. The window
changed to say it was downloading packages with 0 bytes and 0%
downloaded. It sat there quite a long time and then the processor
utilization went to 100%, with nothing ever being downloaded. I even
checked the RJ-45 receptacle's light -- it was not blinking. In contrast,
Windows Update in XP would indeed start downloading the packages when it
said it was downloading them. So you can see why I was thinking something
was broken.

It has now developed a new problem: For the last hour-and-a-half at least,
it has been stuck on "Installing update 150 of 179..." That update is
KB2799926, in case that means anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do now?

Thank you for your assistance,

Craig