> The trucking industry is fighting a proposal to mandate 2% biodiesel in
> all diesel fuel sold in Washington state.  They're concerned about poor
> fuel quality causing unreliability and warranty issues with engine
> manufacturers.  Apparently a similar initiative in Minnesota resulted in
> widespread problems with clogged filters and gelled fuel.
>
> Article here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/257659_biodiesel31.html

Must be really, really cold, if the truckers are having gelling issues with
commercial grade  B20. I buy B20 biodiesel in Santa Fe and it has a gel point
of 30 degrees below zero.

Clogged filters I can believe, as biodiesel can loosen up accumulated crud in
an engine. OTOH, the increased lubricity will probably make their engines
last 25% longer, so maybe they should suck it up, replace the filters, and be
glad they have cleaner, longer lasting engines that pollute far less. The
petrodiesel exhaust which the truckers are breathing daily is carcinogenenic,
and so the truckers themselves will arguably last longer with biodiesel also.

The downside from a strictly self-centered vantage is that the Minnesota law
created a temporary biodiesel shortage out here, with prices even for the B20
spiking up to $4 per gallon. But now there are more biodiesel refineries
opening up, and things are stabilizing again.

 But 2% biodiesel, is that enough to do anything, good or bad? I wouldn't
think that would have a significant impact on gelling, filter clogging, or
air pollution.

Lee