In an effort to address the remaining items on my list for the 94 S420, I
started in this morning around 8:30.

First thing was to add a couple of resistors to the coolant temperature sensor
for the auxiliary fans.  On the 95 and earlier W140 cars, there is a sensor on
the top front of the M119 engine that provides the setpoint (100 C) for the
turning on of the auxiliary fans.  I added two 2.2k ohm resistors in parallel
to get the desired 1.1k ohm resistance to lower the setpoint to around 92C.  Of
course the little plastic connector body pretty much disintegrated when I
attempted to disassemble it.  Something for the “list ‘o’ parts” to my dealer
parts guy tomorrow.

Next was the fuel filter.  I wasn’t looking forward to this, as I really hate
working around gasoline, but….

This car has the dual fuel pump setup with the filter that uses compression and
banjo bolt fittings.  Fortunately, everything was neat and clean with no
corrosion present.  One of the clamp screws for holding the filter and pumps in
place was worn out, but with a good phillips bit and an offset screwdriver I
was able to get enough torque on it to break it loose.

Filter and fittings all came loose without much effort.  Go the caps form the
new filter on the old one pretty quick, so the amount of gas that came out
wasn’t bad, maybe half a cup or so. Got everything in place, tightened up and
tested with no leaks.  Put the cover back on and done.

I did find something on the old filter that shocked me a bit when I saw it.  I
didn’t notice this until after I had removed it and it was draining in the pan:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x86sl4b6oab7l2g/S420%20Filter.JPG?dl=0
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/x86sl4b6oab7l2g/S420%20Filter.JPG?dl=0>

And now that the garage is cleared out and car work is pretty much done for the
weekend, I’m going to tear into my floor jack, I think.  That’s after I start
the spouse’s birthday cake baking….

Dan