I'm getting confused.

So the engine in this car is not a rod bender, correct? If not, what was the issue with these? Are these the ones that would crack the heads of overheated (#14 head)?

Befuddled Dan

Sent from my iPad

The 86-87 SDL is NOT a rodbender. Those came later and were 350SDs, until in the 140, they went back to calling it a 300SD, because they had trashed the name of the 350SD.

all were 14 heads, and some made problems early on. Out of 5 OM603s, i've owned all were 14 heads and were reliable. Herr Doctor theorized in his latter years that perhaps most of the bad castings were replaced by then, and the remaining ones were good. I buy into that theory.

As long as the compression is good, I would not worry about it other than to keep the coolant tank filled to the right level and check it regularly. I put something like 250k miles on my first SDL with the 14 head, and the head never made trouble.