The drip method is described in the OM621 manual, and I think it may be in the 616/617 manuals. I used the primer pump to provide pressure. It is done with Diesel fuel. I have never used air for timing the Ip. On the OM603, I have only used the static timing lock.

The theory of the drip method is that when the plunger is not in delivery mode, the fuel flows freely out the drip tube. At the start of delivery, the plunger blocks the chamber and the free flow stops. At that point, you read the position on the crank pointer.

I developed my own method for timing om621/616/617. It does NOT involve removing the pin on the DV. I take a straw and blow the fuel out of the flared part of the connector on the IP (DV holder) for the #1 cyl. turn the engine very slowly when you are coming up to the timing mark. When the fuel just begins to rise, the delivery is starting. I set the time 1 to 2 degrees in advance of the book spec to allow for the fact that delivery actually started, and that the DV spring had to be overcome. It has always worked on the cast iron head engines.

I don't like disturbing the DV just to do timing. It increases the possibility of introducing contaminants (grit etc) into the IP. Plus I never had extra seals and orings around to reseal the DV.

My approach may have been flawed, I was using my air compressor with the regulator turned down really low, maybe I should have used lung power?

Maybe air is the wrong working medium, and one should use diesel fuel instead?
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC