Spray is fine for inside if you mind the spray going where you don't want it. But rollers put up paint pretty fast too, I can do a room in the time it would take to fool with a sprayer (and masking) on the front and back ends of a job. The painters I have seen generally use them for trim, not the flat surfaces, to lay down a smooth finish. Plus, depending on the sprayer and paint, you need to watch the viscosity of the paint to get a good spray, some paints are better for spraying than others and I'm sure that affects the coverage and longevity, etc. The pros use oil-based paint for trim and tend to use lacquer thinner for getting a good spray, finish, and a fast dry, which causes lots of other concerns.

Outside they are no good, you need to work the paint into whatever you're painting if you want it to hold up. Or spray and back brush after.

A good paint job is all about the preparation anyway, the actual painting part is a small part of the job.

But, YMMV

--R