From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Marshall Booth
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 3:59 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] what IS the "diesel noise"?

Christopher McCann wrote:
> I'm talking about a perfectly healthy purring engine. I'm thinking:
>
>   1. Injection pump getting fuel up to pressure (BTW, what pressure does
the fuel inject at on an OM617? OM603?)
>   2. The detonation under higher compression

New injector injection pressure for a non-turbo OM61x/60x Mercedes
diesels is 115-125 bar (1667-1812 psi) and 135-145 bar (1957-2102 psi)
for turbos.

The noise you hear from a diesel engine is the sound of combustion. It
can be made VERY quiet if the interior of the prechamber is very very
precise. As it accumulates residue or if the injection spray pattern and
pressure isn't precise, the noise increases. The properties of the fuel
  also contribute to noise. Using noise as a tool to measure the
condition of a diesel is foolish. A perfect Cummins or Ford diesel makes
one heck of a lot of racket at idle while a Mercedes diesel shouldn't,
but it takes only a tiny flaw (a little soot in the prechamber, a little
nozzle coking or some air or water in the fuel) to make the Mercedes
sound as bad as the Cummins or Ford.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi