I had the impression that there WAS no "combustion front" in a diesel in the
sense that there is in a spark ignition engine... rather, all the fuel
combusts simultaneously as it is sprayed into the hot air in the prechamber
or cylinder at the top of the compression stroke.  Always assumed THIS was
the characteristic diesel noise---a sharper, louder sound when combustion
takes place throughout the cylinder in one event, rather than being spread
over a small but significant period of time.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo