Can anyone suggest an ISP that is user friendly?

I've been using Embarqmail/Century Link for years, and until recently it was
trouble-free and fairly tolerable; although their support was iffy.

Their 660 modem has worked well for several years, but yesterday it died, so I
substituted a good one from the shop. It didn't boot, so I called support. It
seems that Century Link is now using a different modem, and the only way I can
get online for a few minutes of downloading or sending emails is to "trick" the
660 by disconnecting the telephone line, resetting the modem, and then quickly
downloading or sending emails. After that the modem will not connect.

In my experience, most companies will support an older piece of equipment until
a customer gets the new piece of equipment, but not Century Link!
Now, I'll be waiting for Century Link to get around to shipping me their new
Modem. Whether its arrogance or imcompetence, the result is the same.
(End of rant)
Thanks,
Gerry