Compared to a modern engine, the M117 in Frosch is a slug.  Could be
transmission related.  Either way, the car has had a bit of minor work since my
purchase and she is running much better.  Finally got close to 15mpg highway on
my last long drive.  Better than the 10mpg over the past four years.  I only
put 2500 on the clock each year to get her to 215k.   She has had two water
pumps under my watch.  Trivial overheating both times.  First was full pump
failure due to calcium build up and fresh hoses.  Second was when the viscous
fan died last year.

May need the valves done in a few years.  Some compression values off (but
within range) on two pistons.  PPI found that and have not had a recent retest
to see if it got better.  No smoke, no leaks of fluid on a 1973 engine.  PPI
made note of possible head gasket leakage, but I have not seen anything, nor
has my indy made mention of it since.  Biggest long term gremlin hunt has been
the Djet system.  Pretty much nailed it down now.

I could not see much benefit to a 380 over the 450, given the timing chain
issue and only gaining 2mpg.    If I could put a 560 back end on it, that would
give more oomph.  But there is no way to make it payback in fuel saving.  Best
use of my limited funding is to fill the tank as needed and small cosmetics.
Maybe install a fresh exhaust because the current one is rusting away and
welding just makes more holes.

clay