Well, the "new" 124 300D arrived on a roll off several weeks ago. After spending a few bucks on selected parts, mainly battery, flex coupling, Trans mount, 3 glow plugs, rear subframe mounts and a used vacuum pump, it went on its maiden voyage this evening.

First up: driver's seat belt appears to be rusted in place from non use. It is tight, and does not budge at all. :(

Second: speedo does not work. Tach is still non-fuctional. didn't mess with it today.

turd: Trip meter appears not to reset. Probably melted gears inside the speedo, along with whatever breaks in the trip meter.

Forth: Headlight switch is funky. have to turn it to first position left of off to get the lights off. the knob is loose l-r. Maybe just the knob is bad, but more likely the switch.

5th (of sumpin hard is needed by now) Ign switch is funky too. the ON position is nearly to where the start should be, then the start is just a bit more to the right. Not as far as it should be. There is a electric switch for the key/lock assembly in the tray. Don't know if it is new awaiting install, or the original , the current is a cheep chinee uro switch. (Been down the Ign switch route before. This one will be low on the priorities as long as it works.)

6th Figured out yesterday that the parking brake shoes are AWOL, and the cables are gone and the mountings all torn up. I found a donor car yesterday that can provide new wheel carrier assemblies, so the park brakes and the LCA bushings will get fixed at the same time.

7th Brake pedal is pretty far down, so it needs new front pads and maybe rotors.

This car would have been financially wise to part out, but being non-rusty, and seeming low mile, and decent looking, I am attempting to resurrect it, but it will be a LONG, slow, expensive process. It is hard to find a low mile non rustbelt one to start with in this region without big bucks or long trips.

The good: 1. Engine runs nice and sounds great on whatever crap is in the tank. It smells like sunflower B100, but I am sure it is fry oil or maybe some other kind of B100, or some oil/fuel mix...

2. I am sure there is suspension work needed, but it handles pretty well. The outer rear LCA bushing is gone on one side, as per prior post.

3. Transmission seems all good, but shifts very hard on the 3-4. That will have to go on the long list.

4. With the new (used) vacuum pump the booster works and the engine shutoff works. (I had tested the shutoff before with lung power, so I knew it was OK.

5. Brakes work, with caveats listed in other points.

On these, I think the speedo is 'lektronic. Is that right? I'll have to pull the cluster and see if a signal is present.

Any other wizz-dom to impart from you listers about the numerous problems? (Most posted earlier)

DISCOVERIES:
The radio (sony) without operating face shows smoke damage. It is junked. Need a cheep radio. It appears the old flex joint caught fire. Never heard of that before. There is a lot of rubber char on the trans mount and exh pipe. all 6 bolts and washer/bushings had no cloth or rubber on them. Trans mount looked burned, but most rubber present. It got replaced. There is a cable coming out the left rear of the transmission that has the rubber sheathing burned off. I need to figure out what that is and if it relates to any other other known problems. It is smaller than a speedo cable; about 5/16" dia, wire wound sheathing under the rubber outside. Something like a truck PTO Cable.

On the original, no screw front vacuum pump, the front cover was loose and rattling. Never seen that before... Glad I have a new style one that works!

Front 3 GPS were champion :( Bad news. The steel is bad and they tend to weld to the head, but last such a short time, you can usually get them out. I was afraid that the back 3 were also champion, but they are not. Bosch, so alles gut! It now has a long life Beru in the #1 position, and Bosch in the other 5. so the glow light should work for quite a while.