Second:  speedo does not work.  Tach is still non-fuctional...
On these, I think the speedo is 'lektronic. Is that right? I'll have to pull the cluster and see if a signal is present.

I think 124 is still a cable.  Shares a lot with the 201, and I know
that has a mechanical cable.

There is a cable coming out the left rear of the transmission that has the rubber sheathing burned off. I need to figure out what that is and if it relates to any other other known problems. It is smaller than a speedo cable; about 5/16" dia, wire wound sheathing under the rubber outside. Something like a truck PTO Cable.

Pretty sure that would be your speedo cable!  It looks like a duck,
is in the right place for a duck, and is cooked like your duck...

On the original, no screw front vacuum pump, the front cover was loose and rattling. Never seen that before... Glad I have a new style one that works!

I've had that!

-- Jim