Since you guys (other than Loren) seem to have taken off from working on cars I
guess I'll relate the latest on the '05 VW Golf.
My wife rarely complains so it'd been a couple months before I realized that
the heater fan only comes on when using the highest position. A quick Google
shows that this is a pretty common problem that is probably failure of the
thermal switch on the resistor pack. A whole pack is available for less than
$20 or I could just replace the switch itself for $1 (gotta buy 5 though). I
opted to order new thermal switches and crimp in a new one.
The failed switch is probably just a symptom of the actual problem which is the
fan getting cruddy so I pulled the fan (not as easy as a 123 fan but easier
than a 201), hosed out the bearings with carb cleaner, then sprayed or dribbled
a variety of lubricating fluids back in to loosen things up. I had the best
success with Kano Kroil which also smells nice. Its not completely loose but
its much easier turning than it was. Since the fan isn't so hard to replace
I'll run it like this and replace if needed.
Amazon has a URO fan for cheap cheap but I refuse to go for it, I like the car
too much.
Sadly the new thermal switches won't be in until next week so I can't call this
a win. I'll let you know the final result when we get there.
-Curt