Tom,

Sorry to hear about your loss. The 1998 S420 is still going strong at 281k -
maybe I can talk oldest son to make you a deal on it?

I just did this with my former S500 coupe.  Since I know W140s pretty well, I
had a good idea of what the most desirable parts were, which helped. I used
eBay and other sources such as Benzworld, to sell a lot of stuff. I went
through and made a very expansive list in a PDF with part numbers and
descriptions to post in the various forums.

I sold about $2500 worth of parts from the car so far. Most went in the first
few weeks. I really hurt myself with shipping costs on some of the larger
interior parts unique to the coupe, like door cards, mainly because shipping
and boxing was really expensive.

Out of that, I probably spent $500-$700 in fees and shipping/handling costs.
Considering the car cost me $3k three years ago, I figure I came out OK. I
would also add that I got another $200 for the remains from a recycler, and I
saved a number of parts common to my other W140s and R129 that I have on the
shelf as spares.

I will warn you that this takes a significant investment in time and effort, so
if you put a value on your time it might not be worth it. Check prices
carefully - I figured that the electronic modules in the "coffin" would be
worth a lot, for example - they're not, maybe $25-$50/each and they don't sell
well as they're a lot of them on the market.

I don't know your car or model well, so I can't reflect on whether it would be
worth it or not. Suffice to say if you have the time and want to make the
effort it can be done, but the actual benefits of doing so might be marginal.

I still have a large number of parts sitting in a box and on a shelf in my
garage. As time goes on and it's clear they're unlikely to sell, I'm tossing
them in the trash to regain the space.

Dan

Sent from my iPad