IIRC there are taps made for machine tapping, I forget what they're called,
machine taps maybe. They look like a cross between a drill bit and a regular
tap, maybe they're called twist taps...
-Curt

      From: Greg Fiorentino via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: 'Mercedes Discussion List' <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Greg Fiorentino <greg.fiorent...@comcast.net>
 Sent: Monday, February 8, 2016 4:48 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] From bad to worse to nightmare -- tapping

I have done it on a lathe. The same would work fine on a mill, but I would
not use power. Either lathe or mill is good for alignment, using a
spring-loaded adapter to encourage the tap forward.

Also, I have read that gunsmiths in particular, might prefer to use carbon
steel taps instead of high speed steel. The point is that if they break off
they can be broken out by hitting with a hammer and punch since they tend to
be more brittle. I have not verified this myself. I've been careful (and
lucky!) not having broken off a tap as yet.

I have tried the alum solution to dissolve a screw. I was unsuccessful with
this as it was likely a stainless alloy which did not dissolve.

I think that any tapping fluid would work ok for aluminum (Al). I have read
that WD-40 is a good cutting fluid for Al, I just use my regular all-purpose
cutting fluids for cutting or tapping in Al. No problems or issues.

Greg