I have never seen a suburban with 4:10 gears. That is usually for 1 ton trucks. Even with the taller gears you are not going to be able to safely pull 10K lbs with a burb. I would check the codes and see if that rear end is factory or if somebody changed it before you. I would change to a more factory set, something like 3.73 I think, even less probably. Not sure offhand what most of them came with. I would check out gm-diesel.net for more info.

kayoooh @ gmail wrote:

Hello Group,
I just got back to Texas from Jacksonville, Florida after picking my newly
acquired 6.5l Diesel Suburban.

Talk about the noise level inside that cabin let alone outside it!
I guess I got spoiled by the more refined MB ML 400CDI! In the Mercedes, one
barely notices the noise, but I guess I'll have to get used to it, until I
can bring the ML into the country, that is.

Now for the reason I am posting, I am about to change the engine oil and was
about to pick a few jugs of Mobil 1 when I remembered how some of us are
looking hard for M1 10-50 or was it M1 15-50, why is that so, why is M1
xx-30 not wanted, is it unsuitable? And if it is unsuitable, why is it so?

And what about AT fluid, do you think I should stick with Dexron or give the
synthetic stuff a try!?

Last, and Kaleb maybe the one who knows about this, truck I bought came with
the tall 4.10 rear end and I am thinking of changing the rear end to the
more economical 3.70. The only downside I am aware of as of now is that the
towing capacity drops from 10,000 lbs. to 8,000 lbs. (or was it from 8,000
lbs to 6,000 lbs!?).
Can anyone tell me in real life terms what would be a 10,000 , 8,000 and
6,000 lbs tow?

I don't envision towing anything more than a UHAUL trailer every now and
then and even more rare, an inoperable car on the back of a trailer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you all,

Omar.