On Thursday, February 9, 2006, at 08:22 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:

I have never seen a suburban with 4:10 gears. That is usually for 1 ton
trucks.  Even with the taller gears you are not going to be able to
safely pull 10K lbs with a burb.  I would check the codes and see if
that rear end is factory or if somebody changed it before you.  I would
change to a more factory set, something like 3.73 I think, even less
probably.  Not sure offhand what most of them came with.  I would check
out gm-diesel.net for more info.

Cars/trucks with overdrive require gear ratios in the 4.10 range. Gives the pulling power required and economy when cruising at higher speeds.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am