Dan,

Motor mounts may be required to isolate the vibration, but if the engine
has issues (usually minor) then new mounts are just a band-aid.

Rough idle can be due to issues at the injectors and delivery valves.
There is a guy Mark something on Peach Parts, located in Columbia SC, that
will clean / test / set / balance your injectors for about $120, I can post
his contact info if interested.  His Nom de Plume is Greazzer.  I had him
service the set in my '87 wagon, he did great work.  My engine at idle is
rock steady, no visible movement, no vibration in the cockpit.  This summer
I'm probably going to send him the injectors from my '95 sedan to be
completely rebuilt with new nozzles.

If you go into the delivery valves, which I consider a minor job well worth
doing on any new MB diesel, a special splined socket is required.  I always
replace the copper washer, spring, and o-ring on each valve.  However,
clean clean clean is the order of the day, as the least contamination of
the DV or the hard injector line can result in clogged or damaged DV or
injector, and there is a special torque sequence for the DVs.  This job is
possible with the intake manifold in place, but best done with that removed
(new gaskets required).  At that point, one had might as well replace all
the hard injector line plastic clips and rubber pads under them, and also
refresh the glow plugs, and then none of those things will need to be
touched for another 100k miles or so.

Collapsed hydraulic compensators (aka lifters) can also cause idle
problems, but you'd probably get some lifter clack-clack if that were the
case.

Max
Charleston SC